My First Fusion,a feelgood story

Gesperrt
Gulgor

My First Fusion,a feelgood story

Beitrag von Gulgor »

Hi everybody, i've had my first Fusion and like to share my experience with you!

I'm a 33 year old musician but not a big festival-goer, had only been to Dour twice. Didn't completely liked those two experiences with too many people trying to selfdestruct with drugs, not a pretty sight at all. My German girlfriend (I'm dutch) convinced me to go with her to Fusion so here i went!

Four days later i came back exhausted but feeling liberated. I was amazed that despite the size of it all how friendly the atmosphere was. People apologized at 4:00 in the night when they accidentaly bumped into me! Which, ofcourse should be normal, but often is not at parties!

Some more things i loved: the diversity in music and stages, from bombastic techno to far more intimate bands. There seemed to be so much for so many. The last night (saturday for me) i left my two friends to venture alone a bit, drifting from stage to stage, discovering the maniacal sounds of Crystal Distortion (THAT SHIT WAS FRANTIC) and happily shaking some muscles loose i didn't even knew i had before.

Then I jumped into a completely different vibe in Salon de Baile, ending on a bridge overlooking the Karla Kutter stage where a TRULY BEAUTIFUL song was played, with a woman singing "I don't want to leave.....", which exactly was how I felt, not wanting to leave this place, and this world for that matter. I then started to thank my loved ones and all these beautiful people for existing and cried uncontrollably for a minute. (anybody knows the song I talked about? it was played around 3:30 saturdaynight)

So, if you at that time saw a guy by his lonesome looking incredibly sad and happy at once, that was me! Well, hope you liked this feelgood story. Peace out!
Yence

Re: My First Fusion,a feelgood story

Beitrag von Yence »

Nice to read your experience.
I have a similar one. Now 29, I moved away from Belgium to Berlin 3 years ago, so before that I did many festivals in Belgium too, among which Dour, known as quite a liberal festival back in the day but every year getting more and more commercialized.

They told me before I went to Fusion "once you're in there you can do whatever you want". So with that I already started imagining things, also based on the many stories I heard about Fusion in the past. But I didn't imagine that there was so much to do, and so much allowed! And it just fucking works. I didn't know that this was possible.

The most magical moments for me were probably Friday evening during the Giegling sets at Tankwüste and onwards on Saturday morning with Rone at the Turmbühne. Saturday evening and Sunday morning were also fantastic, nevertheless.
And Thursday evening I found Mop Mop at Roter Platz really enjoyable!

One thing I definitely missed though, was a floor with proper hard dark techno. At one point, walking around at night and finding 3 stages with more or less the same dreamy techno and nothing solid (trance being too much for me), was a small disappointment. But hey, I had a great time discovering other stuff anyway :-)!

Partially recovered now from a massive physical and emotional breakdown on Monday evening when i got home, even though I was alone most of the time (and as someone with ASD, random chats with strangers are not much else but stress for me), working away the cold that I caught, I can for sure say that going to this festival was one of the best things I ever did in my life. I was able to focus so much on the intense and just perfect sound and music that I love in my own world, without anything or anyone bothering me, surrounded by beauty, peace and love, everything just perfect. It restored my faith in humankind at least a bit :-)! I'm so thankful that I could be part of it.
Zuletzt geändert von Yence am Do 5. Jul 2018, 23:29, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Trojannik

Beitrag von Trojannik »

Yence hat geschrieben: Do 5. Jul 2018, 22:31 (and as someone with ASS, random chats with strangers are not much else but stress for me)
What does ASS stand for?
Yence

Beitrag von Yence »

Trojannik hat geschrieben: Do 5. Jul 2018, 23:18
Yence hat geschrieben: Do 5. Jul 2018, 22:31 (and as someone with ASS, random chats with strangers are not much else but stress for me)
What does ASS stand for?
Sorry I mixed languages here, in English ASD Autism Spectrum Disorder (Autismus-Spektrum-Störung) ;)
Gulgor

Beitrag von Gulgor »

Actually I'm going to Dour this year, doing some filming/writing for a website that gave me and my brother press tickets. But otherwise i wouldn't have bothered. Although I have to say the lineup got some fantastic names, Swindle, BBNG, Floating Points and Nils Frahm to name a few.

Yence hat geschrieben: Do 5. Jul 2018, 22:31 One thing I definitely missed though, was a floor with proper hard dark techno.
They played some pretty haunting stuff on saturdaynight on one of the big stages, it kept me awake when i was trying to sleep. :P
random chats with strangers are not much else but stress for me
That's sounds difficult to deal with. I guess most people have trouble to some degree finding the right approach to strangers. I'm no stranger to that either, pun intended. But it helps to just find yourself on the dancefloor, embrace yourself completely in the music and the moment, and be later able to draw on that memory as inspiration for darker days. I'm getting all philosophical over here eh? :P
It restored my faith in humankind at least a bit :-)
It is easy to lose faith in your fellow human through the kaleidoscope of divisive opinions that seems to polarize us quicker than ever before. Gatherings like these remind us that we all groove to the same vibration! :mrgreen:
Gesperrt