"Größtmögliche Chancengleichheit" Statistik-Summary

Archiv
Gesperrt
mamako

"Größtmögliche Chancengleichheit" Statistik-Summary

Beitrag von mamako »

Ich fasse hier noch einmal "in einfachen Worten" (=grob) ein paar Aspekte zusammen, die sich aus den im Newsletter angegebenen Regeln zur Ziehung ergeben und die bereits im Statistikthread diskutiert wurden.
(Für mathematisch genauere Ausführungen besser dort nachschauen.)

0) Vorab, basics: Die Wahrscheinlichkeit, eine Option zu gewinnen, ist nicht immer 50%, obwohl es pro Person nur zwei Ausgangsmöglichkeiten (ja/nein) gibt. Bei einer normalen, fairen Ziehung würde das davon abhängen, wieviel Karten und wieviel Bewerber es gibt.
Einfaches Beispiel: Ich habe 6 Mal soviel Bewerber wie Tickets, Gewinnwahrscheinlichkeit = Tickets/Bewerber = 1/6, dann schreibe ich auf meinen Würfel fünf mal "Nein" und einmal "Ja", und würfele für jeden Bewerber.

1) Durch die Cliquenregelung wird dieses Prinzip gestört. Je nachdem, welche Cliquenverteilung ich bei den Anmeldungen habe, ändert sich die Wahrscheinlichkeit. D.h. ich kann die Anfangs-Wahrscheinlichkeit nicht mehr vorab aus dem Verhältnis Karten/Bewerber bestimmen. Dieser Punkt ist wichtig.

2) Will ich trotzdem ein fixes Kartenkontigent einhalten, muß ich sequentiell ziehen, also nacheinander (bis nix mehr übrig ist). Dadurch ändert sich wiederum die Wahrscheinlichkeit während der Ziehung. Einfaches Beispiel: Ich komme zu spät zur Tombola, es sind nur noch Nieten übrig, daher ist meine Gewinnwahrscheinlichkeit gleich null. First come, first serve.

3) Will ich diese Ungerechtigkeit vermeiden, muß ich das Kontingent variieren. Einfaches Beispiel: Nur Zweiercliquen, 50% gewinnen, es müssen also 110.000 Tickets vergeben werden. (aleroys Beispiel und im Statistikthread)

4) Durch die Cliquenregelung werden lustigerweise Zweiergruppen bevorzugt, wenn es (etwa) mehr als doppelt soviele Bewerber wie Tickets gibt. Im umgekehrten Fall werden sehr große Gruppen bevorzugt.

5) Diese Besonderheit tritt auch bei sequentieller (Nacheinander) Ziehung (bei fixem Kontingent) auf. Wie sich die Wahrscheinlichkeiten hier im Laufe der Ziehung entwickeln, ist komplex, das hat noch keiner von uns simuliert ... ist vielleicht auch nicht so wichtig. ;-)

Kurz, das beschriebene System führt zu einigen komplexen, statistisch sehr interessanten Problemen. :-) Sicher ist nur, daß es nicht im konventionellen Sinne "fair" ist derart, daß jeder die gleichen Chancen hätte. Diese variieren nämlich mit der Gruppenzugehörigkeit (Größe der Gruppe), dem Kartenkontigent (fix/nicht fix) und der Methode der Ziehung (gleichzeitig oder nacheinander) und zum Teil auch mit dem Wissen über die Anzahl der Bewerber.:-)

grandchild hat im Statistikthread ein sehr schönes Alternativmodell entwickelt, das bei gering variierendem Kontingent eine gute Chancengerechtigkeit ermöglicht. (Danke grandchild !)

Insofern muß man rein vom statistischen Standpunkt aus sagen, daß das im Newsletter vorgestellte System nicht die "größtmögliche Chancengleichheit" gewährleistet.
grandchild

Re: "Größtmögliche Chancengleichheit" Statistik-Summary

Beitrag von grandchild »

(English translation of the above, so our non-German speakers can see the problem as well)

I'll summarize - in simple words, aka. roughly - some aspects that arose from the rules for the ticket lottery given in the newsletter. Those were discussed in the statistics thread and for more in-depth mathematical explanations better refer to that thread (it's in German though).

0) First, the basics: The probability for winning a ticket option is not always 50%, although there are only two possible outcomes for a person (yes/no). With a normal, fair drawing this would depend on how many tickets there are and how many applicants.
Simple example: I have 6 times as many applicants as I have tickets. Probability of winning = tickets/applicants = 1/6. So on my dice I'll write five time no and one time yes, and then roll the dice for each applicant.

1) Because of the peer group ruling this principle is disturbed. Depending on what kind of peer-group distribution I have after registration, probability changes. That means I can no longer determine the initial probability from the tickets/applicants ratio. This point is important.

2) If I wanted to keep a fixed quota of total tickets, I have to draw sequentially, that means one after the other (until all tickets are gone). This again changes the the probability during the drawing process. Simple example: I'm late for the tombola and only blanks remain, so my probability of winning is exactly zero. First come, first serve.

3) If I wanted to avoid this unfairness, I'd have to vary the quota of total tickets. Simple example: Only 2-people peer groups, in each one one person wins, 100% get a ticket. So 110,000 tickets would have to be given out. (aleroys example from the statistics thread)

4) Funny enough, through the peer group ruling 2-people groups are favored when there are (roughly) more than double the number of applicants as there are tickets. In the other case (less than 2 applicants for 1 ticket) larger groups are favored.

5) This anomaly also appears in sequential (one-after-the-other) drawing (with a fixed quota). How exactly the probabilities vary in the process of drawing is complex, and none of us have simulated this scenario... and maybe it isn't so important anyway. ;)

In short, the system detailed here leads to some complex, and statistically quite intriguing, problems. :) One thing is certain: it's not "fair" in the conventional sense that everybody has the same odds. Those odds vary with peer group affiliation (size of one's peer group), the quota (fixed/not fixed) and the drawing method (simultaneously or sequentially) and in part also with the knowledge about the total number of applicants. :)

There is a alternative model in the statistics thread, that says: don't do drawing for individuals and then have a certain winning quota within the group, but treat groups as single entities (and single persons as groups as well) and then do the drawing. As a group member you'll end up with just the same probability as any entity, because your group has that probability of winning.

Finally one has to say that, from a statistical point of view, the system presented in the newsletter does not guarantee maximum equality ("größtmögliche Chancengleichheit").
cyphunk

Re: "Größtmögliche Chancengleichheit" Statistik-Summary

Beitrag von cyphunk »

summary: if you want the most sure advantage come in a group of only 2. if you don't like this, just be sure to apply in groups of even numbers.

I'm not a statistician but I actually find the model fusion chose to be rather elegant apart from one small issue: the bias towards groups of even numbers over odd. It works well though because as explained if the demand is less than double the number of available tickets large groups start to get an advantage but if the demand is over double the number of tickets then smaller groups have an advantage. This creates some natural protection over the "interest" or "exposure" of the festival.

If there is a lot of interest than with this setup it is likely that more groups (smaller groups) will get tickets which means the "idea" or feeling from fusion has a greater viral spread. Whereas if the interest is lower this would mean the viral spread would be lower due to there being larger groups. However, this would still protect the existence of fusion.

With this setup they are actually free to explore and experiment more, and for this reason it is elegant. For instance, if it turns out that there are 3 times as many applicants for tickets than tickets this year they could decide next year to limit tickets only to people willing to volunteer on cleanup duty (making it the cleanest festival in the world), hint hint.

Lastly, as is clear, groups of exactly 2 have the biggest advantage. Couples. I guess they didn't really consider polygamy.
Gesperrt