Related to Supporter Care / Verwandt mit Supporter Care

Gesperrt
sinkfiction

Related to Supporter Care / Verwandt mit Supporter Care

Beitrag von sinkfiction »

EN

Dear Fusion Forum,

I have thought about writing to here many times, but it took some time to put it into words. I was a supporter after the festival and it was my first experience as a supporter. Last year I was a participant, I was really eager to experience the other side. The festival declares itself to be inclusive, anti-racist, integrative, supportive and so on.

As a supporter of the festival mentioned above, my experience was the opposite. Every single time, from the beginning, the main crew, spoke and explained everything in German. I warned them more than three times, and each time they said, Oh, we forgot that. I tried to understand the situation, but if it's inclusive for everyone, it shouldn't be like that.

Secondly, I had a serious accident at work. It was underestimated. The people around me when it happened literally acted with an 'okay, it could have happened' attitude. Someone dropped a metal shelf leg on my head and didn't even apologize. I insisted on going to the first-aid tent. Up until then, the people around me were acting like you should be grateful that at least you're still breathing, which pissed me off. As a crew, when the ambulance came, I was taken to the hospital; there was no one from the crew with me, and there was no support at all.

As a non-German speaker, you assume that in the hospital, especially in Germany outside the big cities, everyone expects you to speak German, which I couldn't. At least someone from the support crew could accompany me to the hospital to explain what was happening. No one supported me or helped me out of the situation, and during my stay in the hospital (almost 2 days), no one from the crew called me again or asked about my situation. I felt neglected. Obviously, because of someone's incaution during the work. This is unacceptable.

If there is going to be a hazardous job (other than washing dishes), people need to be informed in advance about how to dismantle structures, etc., and maybe you need to take out insurance for people working in the area. (If I didn't have private insurance, I had to pay huge amount of € for the ambulance + hospital costs.)

I mentioned what was happening to everyone around me who was at the Fusion and everyone was shocked that the 'supporter crew' didn't really support. I didn't have the courage to write to you until I received this survey, but I think it's time.

I have just wanted to share what I was feeling, what I was going through, that's all.
Thank you for reading this.

Liebes Fusionsforum,

Ich habe schon oft darüber nachgedacht, hierher zu schreiben, aber es hat einige Zeit gedauert, bis ich es in Worte fassen konnte. Ich war nach dem Festival ein Unterstützer und es war meine erste Erfahrung als Unterstützer. Letztes Jahr war ich Teilnehmerin, ich war sehr gespannt darauf, die andere Seite zu erleben. Das Festival deklariert sich selbst als inklusiv, antirassistisch, integrativ, unterstützend und so weiter.

Als Unterstützer des oben erwähnten Festivals habe ich genau das Gegenteil erlebt. Jedes Mal, von Anfang an, sprach und erklärte die Hauptcrew alles auf Deutsch. Ich habe sie mehr als dreimal gewarnt, und jedes Mal sagten sie: "Oh, das haben wir vergessen. Ich habe versucht, die Situation zu verstehen, aber wenn es für alle gleich ist, sollte es nicht so sein.

Zweitens: Ich hatte einen schweren Arbeitsunfall. Er wurde unterschätzt. Die Leute um mich herum verhielten sich, als es passierte, buchstäblich nach dem Motto: "Okay, das hätte passieren können". Jemand ließ ein Metallregalbein auf meinen Kopf fallen und entschuldigte sich nicht einmal. Ich habe darauf bestanden, zum Erste-Hilfe-Zelt zu gehen. Bis dahin taten die Leute um mich herum so, als sollte man dankbar sein, dass man wenigstens noch atmet, und das machte mich wütend. Als Crew wurde ich, als der Krankenwagen kam, ins Krankenhaus gebracht; es war niemand von der Crew bei mir, und es gab keinerlei Unterstützung.

Als Nicht-Deutschsprachiger geht man davon aus, dass im Krankenhaus, vor allem in Deutschland außerhalb der Großstädte, jeder erwartet, dass man Deutsch spricht, was ich nicht konnte. Wenigstens konnte mich jemand aus dem Betreuungsteam ins Krankenhaus begleiten und mir erklären, was los war. Niemand unterstützte mich oder half mir aus der Situation heraus, und während meines Aufenthalts im Krankenhaus (fast 2 Tage) rief mich niemand von der Crew wieder an oder fragte nach meiner Situation. Ich fühlte mich vernachlässigt. Offensichtlich wegen der Unachtsamkeit von jemandem während der Arbeit. Das ist inakzeptabel.

Wenn es sich um eine gefährliche Arbeit handelt (abgesehen vom Geschirrspülen), müssen die Leute im Voraus darüber informiert werden, wie man Strukturen abbaut usw., und vielleicht muss man eine Versicherung für die Leute abschließen, die in diesem Bereich arbeiten. (Wenn ich keine private Versicherung hatte, musste ich einen hohen Betrag für den Krankenwagen und die Krankenhauskosten zahlen).

Ich erzählte allen, die um mich herum auf der Fusion waren, was passiert war, und alle waren schockiert, dass die "Unterstützer-Crew" nicht wirklich geholfen hat. Ich hatte nicht den Mut, Ihnen zu schreiben, bis ich diese Umfrage erhielt, aber ich denke, es ist an der Zeit.

Ich wollte nur mitteilen, was ich fühle, was ich durchmache, das ist alles.
Danke, dass Sie das lesen.
divergenz

Re: Related to Supporter Care / Verwandt mit Supporter Care

Beitrag von divergenz »

Sorry to hear that, did your physical damages heal at least?

Just a few questions to help me wrap my head around that: I assume you are not living in the EU and english is not your native language?

Regarding the insurance it would surprise me if they don't have extra insurances ( "Veranstalterhaftpflicht - Versicherung", etc ). Then again everyone registered in any EU social system has a health insurance valid in the whole EU for ambulances/hospital visits, etc. . Health-insurance is mandatory in the EU.

Did you approach the kulturkosmos with your case? How did they react?
hgfdsa

Beitrag von hgfdsa »

@sinkfiction: i am very sorry to read this , but thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. I suggest to you to get in touch with kulturkosmos office via telephone or email, to explain what happend to you.

@divergenz
divergenz hat geschrieben: Mi 11. Okt 2023, 23:22 Did you approach the kulturkosmos with your case? How did they react?
die person schreibt:
" I didn't have the courage to write to you until I received this survey, but I think it's time."
so wie ich das verstanden habe, hat die person sich erstmal (noch) nicht an die eigene crew (supporter?) und nicht an den veranstalter gewandt.
Utopist

Beitrag von Utopist »

sinkfiction hat geschrieben: Mi 11. Okt 2023, 21:52 EN

Dear Fusion Forum,

I have thought about writing to here many times, but it took some time to put it into words. I was a supporter after the festival and it was my first experience as a supporter. Last year I was a participant, I was really eager to experience the other side. The festival declares itself to be inclusive, anti-racist, integrative, supportive and so on.

As a supporter of the festival mentioned above, my experience was the opposite. Every single time, from the beginning, the main crew, spoke and explained everything in German. I warned them more than three times, and each time they said, Oh, we forgot that. I tried to understand the situation, but if it's inclusive for everyone, it shouldn't be like that.

Secondly, I had a serious accident at work. It was underestimated. The people around me when it happened literally acted with an 'okay, it could have happened' attitude. Someone dropped a metal shelf leg on my head and didn't even apologize. I insisted on going to the first-aid tent. Up until then, the people around me were acting like you should be grateful that at least you're still breathing, which pissed me off. As a crew, when the ambulance came, I was taken to the hospital; there was no one from the crew with me, and there was no support at all.

As a non-German speaker, you assume that in the hospital, especially in Germany outside the big cities, everyone expects you to speak German, which I couldn't. At least someone from the support crew could accompany me to the hospital to explain what was happening. No one supported me or helped me out of the situation, and during my stay in the hospital (almost 2 days), no one from the crew called me again or asked about my situation. I felt neglected. Obviously, because of someone's incaution during the work. This is unacceptable.

If there is going to be a hazardous job (other than washing dishes), people need to be informed in advance about how to dismantle structures, etc., and maybe you need to take out insurance for people working in the area. (If I didn't have private insurance, I had to pay huge amount of € for the ambulance + hospital costs.)

I mentioned what was happening to everyone around me who was at the Fusion and everyone was shocked that the 'supporter crew' didn't really support. I didn't have the courage to write to you until I received this survey, but I think it's time.

I have just wanted to share what I was feeling, what I was going through, that's all.
Thank you for reading this.

Liebes Fusionsforum,

Ich habe schon oft darüber nachgedacht, hierher zu schreiben, aber es hat einige Zeit gedauert, bis ich es in Worte fassen konnte. Ich war nach dem Festival ein Unterstützer und es war meine erste Erfahrung als Unterstützer. Letztes Jahr war ich Teilnehmerin, ich war sehr gespannt darauf, die andere Seite zu erleben. Das Festival deklariert sich selbst als inklusiv, antirassistisch, integrativ, unterstützend und so weiter.

Als Unterstützer des oben erwähnten Festivals habe ich genau das Gegenteil erlebt. Jedes Mal, von Anfang an, sprach und erklärte die Hauptcrew alles auf Deutsch. Ich habe sie mehr als dreimal gewarnt, und jedes Mal sagten sie: "Oh, das haben wir vergessen. Ich habe versucht, die Situation zu verstehen, aber wenn es für alle gleich ist, sollte es nicht so sein.

Zweitens: Ich hatte einen schweren Arbeitsunfall. Er wurde unterschätzt. Die Leute um mich herum verhielten sich, als es passierte, buchstäblich nach dem Motto: "Okay, das hätte passieren können". Jemand ließ ein Metallregalbein auf meinen Kopf fallen und entschuldigte sich nicht einmal. Ich habe darauf bestanden, zum Erste-Hilfe-Zelt zu gehen. Bis dahin taten die Leute um mich herum so, als sollte man dankbar sein, dass man wenigstens noch atmet, und das machte mich wütend. Als Crew wurde ich, als der Krankenwagen kam, ins Krankenhaus gebracht; es war niemand von der Crew bei mir, und es gab keinerlei Unterstützung.

Als Nicht-Deutschsprachiger geht man davon aus, dass im Krankenhaus, vor allem in Deutschland außerhalb der Großstädte, jeder erwartet, dass man Deutsch spricht, was ich nicht konnte. Wenigstens konnte mich jemand aus dem Betreuungsteam ins Krankenhaus begleiten und mir erklären, was los war. Niemand unterstützte mich oder half mir aus der Situation heraus, und während meines Aufenthalts im Krankenhaus (fast 2 Tage) rief mich niemand von der Crew wieder an oder fragte nach meiner Situation. Ich fühlte mich vernachlässigt. Offensichtlich wegen der Unachtsamkeit von jemandem während der Arbeit. Das ist inakzeptabel.

Wenn es sich um eine gefährliche Arbeit handelt (abgesehen vom Geschirrspülen), müssen die Leute im Voraus darüber informiert werden, wie man Strukturen abbaut usw., und vielleicht muss man eine Versicherung für die Leute abschließen, die in diesem Bereich arbeiten. (Wenn ich keine private Versicherung hatte, musste ich einen hohen Betrag für den Krankenwagen und die Krankenhauskosten zahlen).

Ich erzählte allen, die um mich herum auf der Fusion waren, was passiert war, und alle waren schockiert, dass die "Unterstützer-Crew" nicht wirklich geholfen hat. Ich hatte nicht den Mut, Ihnen zu schreiben, bis ich diese Umfrage erhielt, aber ich denke, es ist an der Zeit.

Ich wollte nur mitteilen, was ich fühle, was ich durchmache, das ist alles.
Danke, dass Sie das lesen.
One thing I really dont get is that you want them to give instructions in english because not everyone would speak german. So you are asuming everyone speaks english? I am sure if you ask someone from your crew for translation, they will do it.

After all it feels like you have the attitude of a person which is waiting for the others to step up to you and for you instead of taking responsibility about you in your own hands.

For translations in the hospital, you might wanna use your phone.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear and I am also aware that most people will disagree with me and what I said. But thats my honest opinion on this one even if I agree with some points you made like you wished more empathy for your pain.
sinkfiction

Beitrag von sinkfiction »

@divergenz
Thank you for your message. I recovered from my injuries.
I have been living in the EU for about two and a half years. Even though English is not my first language, I often communicate in it for work and academic purposes.

As I wrote above, I already have my insurance. After the accident, my insurance already took care of the matter. It wasn't until after the accident, when I was back in the area a few days later, that I tried to get in touch with the crew again, but I couldn't get in touch with any of them directly because they had all dispersed after the festival. I only learned from the records that I was hospitalised while working.

After writing to Kulturkosmos about my situation here, I contacted them by email a few days ago and they replied in a good way.

Kulturkosmos has replied to me by email: “We will also talk about this and try to find ways and structures how to support people dealing with such incidents. We will discuss our shortcomings and try to find solutions and improvement strategies and actively apply them for the future. We are aware that we need to work on some areas and see our development as an ongoing process.”

@hgfdsa Thank you for your message. I contacted them at the beginning of this month.

@Utopist Thank you for your message and understanding.
The sentence, "I warned them more than three times, and each time they said, Oh, we forgot that," should be clear to you if you read what I mentioned above.

There is an expectation that attendees of the event, which welcomes individuals from all over the world, will communicate with common sense, especially when it comes to language. Additionally, I can understand fundamental necessities in German at a basic level; I apologise for my limited comprehension of more advanced words in German.

If I hadn't accepted my own responsibility, I might have chosen a different method of contact that I haven't mentioned here.

You might assume that using the translation on the phone was the last thing you remembered considering the emergency, which included head trauma.
Gesperrt